Let’s talk about how we can keep our lady parts intact:
- Did you know that a healthy vagina naturally contains a wealth of good bacteria which keeps it clean?
- The area ladies should be concerned with washing is the external genital area. The internal part has its own self-cleaning process.
- The external female genital area, or vulva, has large lips called labia majora. Beneath the labia majora are smaller lips called labia minora.
- These lips have perspiration, oil and scent glands. Care must be taken to lift them and washed properly. The anus must also be washed well.
- Did you know that a generous amount of water is really all you need to keep the area clean? Anything with heavy fragrance can cause infections easily.
- If you must use something in addition to water, use fragrance free baby soap. Avoid feminine products which aim to make your vagina smell like flowers.
- Did you know that hot water will kill much of the natural bacteria that preserve the delicate balance in your vagina? Lukewarm or cold water is fine.
- Douching can change the natural acidic balance of the vagina and put you at risk of infection. Avoid it.
- Incorrect wiping after using the toilet can lead to infections. Wipe from front to back and be sure that you are thorough.
As for those girly undies, they must be cotton, clean and correctly fitting.